Coach 5

Coach 5
Car Specs
Car Number: 
5
Type: 
First Class Coach
Builder: 
B&S
Built / Retired: 
1881
Construction: 
wood
Notes: 
ex-C&C 5, N&C 5, CP 5, SP 5

Purchased for $50 in 1938, Coach 5 was the first piece of railroad equipment acquired by Ward and Betty Kimball. Its arrival marked the beginning of the Grizzly Flats Railroad, the now legendary 500-foot long rail line located in the Kimball’s backyard in San Gabriel, California. The Kimballs repainted the exterior for their own railroad, but kept the interior in its as-received condition.

Coach 5 was built in 1881 for the Carson & Colorado Railroad, which ran from a connection with the Virginia & Truckee Railroad at Mound House, Nevada south to Keeler, California. The C&C was acquired by the Southern Pacific in 1900, and Coach 5 was rebuilt that same year, adding an interior partition to provide a smoking section. Coach 5 finished its SP career on the narrow-gauge Owens Valley line, finally being retired in 1938.

Donated by Ward and Betty Kimball

OERM Grizzly Flats Coach 5 Behind Rails

Additional Images

One of the seats. Note the elaborate cast seat frame. John Smatlak photo
One of the seats. Note the elaborate cast seat frame. John Smatlak photo
Close-up of the woodwork surrounding the windows. John Smatlak photo
Close-up of the woodwork surrounding the windows. John Smatlak photo
Interior of Coach 5 as it appears today, largely unaltered from its appearance a
Interior of Coach 5 as it appears today, largely unaltered from its appearance at the previous turn of the century. John Smatlak photo
South side of the enginehouse 1993. Don Brown photo
South side of the enginehouse 1993. Don Brown photo
Outside the enginehouse, 1996. SP flatcar undergoing restoration in foreground.
Outside the enginehouse, 1996. SP flatcar undergoing restoration in foreground. John Smatlak photo
With the Emma, Lee Kagy photo
With the Emma, Lee Kagy photo