The 297 is an electric locomotive which was used to pull freight trains. It was built as No. 22 for the Glendale and Montrose Railway, a 12-mile trolley line between the two Los Angeles suburbs which were its namesakes. The G&M was the only interurban railway in the Los Angeles area not to be consolidated into either the Los Angeles Railway or the Pacific Electric. The G&M provided local freight and passenger service until abandoned on December 31, 1930. The locomotive was subsequently purchased by the Union Pacific Railroad which continued to operate electric freight service on a portion of the old G&M (down the middle of Glendale Ave., into downtown Glendale). Union Pacific renumbered the locomotive E-100.
Following conversion of the former G&M line to diesel power in 1938, the locomotive was sold to the Yakima Valley Transportation Co., an electric railway located in an apple-growing region of Washington state. It was renumbered 297 and remained in service until 1985, when it was donated to the museum by YVTC owner Union Pacific Railroad. A portion of the YVTC continues in operation today as a passenger-carrying 'Vintage Trolley' operation.
YVT 297 is maintained in operating condition and is featured regularly on the museum railway.