Car 1000 was a luxurious “Officer’s Car”, reserved for the exclusive use of company officials and their guests for travel on the Pacific Electric. The car provided observation rooms at each end, and a private office in the middle. The deluxe interior was paneled in varnished mahogany and fitted with portable leather chairs and built-in sofas.
Car 1000 transported VIPs over the PE system until 1929 when it was replaced by steel Officer’s Car 1299 (also preserved here at the Museum). After 1929, car 1000 served as a backup for the new car, and was also made available to the public for charters.
In 1938, the PE rebuilt the 1000 into a Parlor Car with increased seating capacity. It was used in 1938-39 on the luxurious extra-fare “Commodore Limited” train betweenLos Angelesand Balboa/Newport Beach. In 1940 it was replaced by car 1299 (again) and placed in storage. Its last assignment came during World War II, when it was used as a training room at West Hollywood Carhouse. Retired in 1947, the car body was sold to a private party who turned it into a residence in Baldwin Park .
Cars 1000 and 1001 (also preserved at the Museum) represent the PE’s last order of wooden cars. The elegant “five-window front”, with its trademark curved-glass corner windows, was also found on many Los Angeles Railway streetcars, (reflecting the common influence of Henry Huntington, who held a major interest in both properties prior to 1911).