The Chair Car offered the traveling public an improvement over the accommodations found in a typical coach, (much like Business Class on today’s airlines, but without the extra charge). The passenger traveling in a Chair Car had the added luxury of individual reclining seats and more leg room than on a coach, although the accommodations were still less exclusive than a seat in the Parlor Car (like the difference between Business Class and First Class on the airlines).
This car was built as “heavyweight” coach 4140 for the Los Angeles & Salt Lake Railroad, a Union Pacific subsidiary running between its namesake cities via Riverside, California and Las Vegas, Nevada. In 1950 the car was completely rebuilt to resemble more modern “lightweight” passenger cars. Its roof was changed to resemble the newer streamlined cars and the interior was completely stripped out and rebuilt with large “picture windows” and enlarged lounge rooms at each end. Retired in 1968, the car was privately owned for a time and was donated to the Museum in 1977 by Craig Rasmussen.
Today, the car’s interior appears much as it did when retired in 1968. The exterior of the car was restored by Museum volunteers in 1996.