Car 3165 was the last streetcar delivered to Los Angeles prior to the current generation of "light rail" operations. It was the final car of a 40-unit order of "All-Electric" PCCs purchased by Los Angeles Railway successor Los Angeles Transit Lines. This car and its 39 sisters entered service on the Pico Blvd. "P" line in October of 1948, and remained there until the end of streetcar service in 1963. The car's green paint scheme was adopted by the Los Angeles M.T.A., which assumed control of the L.A.'s public transportation system in 1958.
How the "All-Electric" PCC's were different: Braking functions and door mechanisms operated by compressed air on earlier PCC's were handled electrically. They were also 8" wider, offered more aisle room, and had a more utilitarian appearance than the earlier PCC cars. The major difference in their appearance is the addition of a small "standee window" above each window on the sides of the car.
In 2006 LAMTA 3165 had its trucks pulled from under the car for a thorough inspection, cleaning and lubrication and also received numerous repairs to its control and auxiliary electrical systems. It returned to regular service in late 2006.