In response to public clamor following the fare increase of 1928 (from a nickel to 7 cents, the first in 50 years), the LA Railway ordered two new experimental “Type M” streetcars. Numbered 2601 and 2602, they were intended to be prototypes for a large order of new cars. Unfortunately, the Depression intervened, and the resulting drop in revenues forced the company to give up its plans for new cars. By the time the effects of the Depression had subsided, more advanced PCC-type streetcars were available, and so no other Type M cars were ever ordered.
The 2601-02 had considerably more overhang on curves than did the other cars in LA Railway’s fleet, and the resulting clearance problems restricted them to operation on lines without a lot of turns. Except for a two-year stint on the Pico Blvd “P” Line, they were assigned to the “7” line (Main and S. Broadway) for most of their careers. In 1950, both cars were placed in storage. The 2601 was sold to a group of railfans in 1955, and came to the Museum in 1959. It is currently undergoing an extensive restoration to return it to its Los Angeles Transit Lines appearance.