In its heyday, the Los Angeles Railway system had over 250 route-miles of track and overhead trolley wire. Special maintenance vehicles, which did not carry passengers, were built to help service this sprawling infrastructure. This car was used to work on the overhead trolley wire; the apparatus in the middle of the car is a movable platform, from which workers had easy access to the wire. The platform, or “tower”, is raised and lowered manually by turning the two wheels at the base.
Built in the company shops in 1907 as Power Car 9202, this car was rebuilt into its current configuration in 1912. It is one of several LA Railway maintenance cars preserved at the Museum; Tower Car 9350, also on display in Carhouse One, served the same purpose but was constructed with an enclosed design. The 9351 was retired in 1954 and came to the Museum in 1959.